We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Commercial Team as Field Bioinformatics Specialist. This exciting and challenging role is responsible for providing a high level of informatics support and representation for Mission Bio’s products, ensuring the successful application of the products to customers research.
The Field Bioinformatics Specialist (FBS), based in South San Francisco, will provide support by assisting scientists and researchers to analyze data sets. The job goes beyond typical database programming, as you must demonstrate experience and capability in chemistry, biology, or other life sciences. As a key member of the Team you will also assist in the development and improvement of key commercial processes to ensure that Mission Bio provides customers with world class support. The position is a multifunctional leadership role that will help in driving Mission Bio’s efforts into research, Bio-Pharma, and clinical segments. The position will be responsible for the development, maintenance and provision of bioinformatics and applications support and training on Mission Bio’s product portfolio, thereby contributing to rapid platform/application adoption and customer satisfaction.
The ideal candidate will have molecular biology experience and has worked as part of a multi-disciplinary team encompassing the whole experimental cycle from sample collection to analysis. Previous industry experience in the role is desired.
- Provide high quality, effective informatics support to customers and prospective customers in territories through knowledge of Mission Bio’s products (expertise around variant calling and single-cell research preferred) and effective communication of applications related to these products.
- Communicate research results through conference presentations, scientific publications, or project reports.
- Consult with researchers to analyze problems, recommend technology-based solutions, or determine computational strategies.
- Advise others on the development or use of new technologies.
- Analyze large molecular datasets such as genomic sequence data, and proteomics data for clinical or basic research purposes.
- Analyze biological samples.
- Keep abreast of new biochemistries, instrumentation, or software by reading scientific literature and attending professional conferences.
- Confer with departments such as marketing, business development, and operations to coordinate product development or improvement.
- Collaborate with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software.
- Participate in the organization and running of meetings, seminars and training courses.
- Actively participate in the development and support of strong relationships with customers collaborating with the Field Application Scientists.
- Establish and maintain strong, positive, productive relationships with customer accounts.
- Be a liaison in conjunction with Support Leadership and Sales to Marketing, R&D, and Bioinformatics departments pertaining to the current needs of the defined market segments identified through VOC experience.
- Coach, mentor and develop incoming team members within the Support and Application departments including overseeing new employee onboarding.
- Be a leader within the Support/Sales organization by proactively and independently addressing customer and product/applications concerns via active participation in routine cross-functional team communications.
- Some overnight travel may be required (up to 50%).
Skills and Background Necessary:
- You should have a minimum of three years lab or relevant experience with proven knowledge and understanding of molecular biology (NGS), cancer biology/oncology, informatics and related fields.
- Previous experience giving oral presentations, teaching or training other scientists.
- Proven ability of effective written and verbal communication and listening skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate and project both during face to face and telephone interactions.
- Strong proven commitment to customer service and satisfaction, the ability to effectively work on and manage many priorities at one time with excellent troubleshooting, writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated success working in fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team towards corporate goals
- Willingness to travel up to 50% time
- Bioinformatics experience with an NGS company or relevant industry is desired but not essential.
- BS in molecular biology with three years of related field or a related field required, MS or PhD strongly preferred.