Staff Bioinformatics Scientist – Lab Services
Are you curious, driven, and collaborative? Do you want to work at one of the most innovative and impactful biotech companies in the bay area? We were voted Method of the Year 2019 Nature Methods and #2 on the Scientist 2018 Top 10 innovations list. Join us in our mission to enable researchers and clinicians to accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of precision medicine.
Mission Bio is a start-up providing the best-in-class solution for single-cell genomics across the range of research and translational/clinical medicine. We are a small team that is growing rapidly, so this is an opportunity for a talented, driven individual to make a significant impact on the direction and success of an exciting young company. We are committed to diversity. If you are a collaborative, curious, hardworking professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive environment, we would love to meet you.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Bioinformatics Scientist who can bring their knowledge of Bioinformatics, NGS assays and analysis methods to take a key role in the data analysis and biological interpretation of Mission Bio’s single-cell genomic and multi-omic data sets for our lab services group. The lab services group focuses on generating data from our customer samples, performing data analysis and interpretation of single cell data for a wide range of applications. The successful candidate will have the fantastic opportunity to work on first of its kind single-cell multi-omics data which is named the method of the year 2019 by Nature.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
- Understand customer’s needs /questions and translate to an actionable assay and analysis strategy
- Lead the development of bioinformatics pipelines and data analysis methods to extract meaningful and actionable information from the single cell data sets
- Communicate analysis results verbally and through reports to internal and external stakeholders
- Work closely with customers, internal scientists and marketing to support publications, presentations at conferences and marketing collateral
- Collaborate closely with the commercial and product management teams for project management, scoping and timelines
What’s Required (QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE)
- PhD or Master’s in bioinformatics, computational biology fields. 5+ years industry experience required. Experience interacting with customers is a plus
- Hands-on experience working with large NGS datasets for applications including variant calling, copy number detection, gene expression. Experience with single-cell data analysis and integration of multi-omics data is a plus
- Strong computational and programming skills in Python and R and hands-on experience working with statistical and machine learning packages. Experience applying statistical and mathematical models to complex and noisy datasets is a plus
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment handling multiple projects simultaneously with different priorities and timelines
- Familiarity with common bioinformatics databases and tools, next generation sequencing technology and assays
- Experience working with large scale projects analyzing large numbers of samples, time-series is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, collaborative team spirit