Staff Bioinformatics Scientist:
Are you curious, driven, and collaborative? Do you want to work at one of the most innovative and impactful biotech companies in the bay area? We were voted Method of the Year 2019 Nature Methods and #2 on the Scientist 2018 Top 10 innovations list. Join us in our mission to enable researchers and clinicians to accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of precision medicine.
Mission Bio is a start-up providing the best-in-class solution for single-cell genomics across the range of research and translational/clinical medicine. We are a small team that is growing rapidly, so this is an opportunity for a talented, driven individual to make a significant impact on the direction and success of an exciting young company. We are committed to diversity. If you are a collaborative, curious, hardworking professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive environment, we would love to meet you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
We are looking for a highly motivated Staff Bioinformatics Scientist who will work closely with research scientists, clinicians, and engineers, you will develop new NGS assays aimed towards providing biological insights and accelerating technology innovation.The Staff Bioinformatics Scientist will work with a team of bioinformatics scientists to design multiplexed amplification panels and analyze next generation sequencing (NGS) data to support our single cell genomics platform.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design highly multiplexed amplification assays capable of interrogating genes and mutations
- Develop bioinformatics tools, algorithms and pipelines for amplicon design, data mining and analysis
- Analyze NGS data from targeted sequencing panels to improve and optimize the design algorithm and pipelines
- Interrogate clinical databases to identify genes and variations associated with relevant clinical indications
- Closely work with the software development team to produce production-grade pipelines
- Collaborate closely with internal project teams, molecular biologists and with external organizations for product/application R&D and assay production. Provide best assay/design solution meets internal and external customer needs
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively for fast-paced projects
What’s Required (QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE)
- MS required PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Genomics or related field preferred
- 2+ years of experience with proven knowledge and understanding of NGS, cancer biology, informatics and related fields
- Experience working and developing bioinformatics production systems and assay design is considered as plus
- Possess a strong understanding in oligo design, NGS data analyst, bioinformatics tools and genomic databases (such as GATK, BWA, Samtools, Bowtie, UCSC genome browser, RefSeq, dbSNP, ENSEMBL, ClinVar, TCGA, COSMIC), as well as genomics, genetics, and sequencing technologies
- An appreciation of using statistical methods and mathematical models in the interpretation of biological data
- Strong verbal and written skills